How Do I Start A Blog?
In this easy Blogging tutorial, I will walk you through some very quick and effective ways to help you launch your own blog today. No really, you can create your new blog, and have it up and running in just minutes! For this step-by-step guide, we will be using WordPress as it is the most popular platform for starting a blog. Plus it is also free.
Chances are you’re probably a beginner blogger or newbie, and are feeling a little overwhelmed at the prospect of starting a blog. Well fret not as this simple guide was created just for you. It doesn’t matter if you’re blogging to earn money, become a better writer, or simply to express yourself, you can learn how to start a blog with this guide, as well as tips to help bring in traffic and visitors to your site.
5 STEP QUICK BLOGGING TUTORIAL!
1) Platform – The first step is to get an account with WordPress.com. (You can end here if you don’t want your own domain name).
2) Domain – The second step is to get a domain name. You can get one for FREE by signing up with Blue Host.
3) Hosting – New or Beginner bloggers, we highly recommend Blue Host. Update your name servers after signing up.
How easy was that?!
DETAILED BLOGGING TUTORIAL!
Now this is the more detailed version in case you need more help with any of the above steps!
1) Platform – The first step is to get an account with WordPress.com. Even if you’re planning to publish the blog on your own domain, you will still need to get this account for other reasons. If you don’t plan on using a domain, you can just stop here and start blogging away! Also if WordPress is not your cup of tea, there are other alternative blogging platforms you can use such as Blogger and Tumblr.
2) Domain – The second step is to get a domain name. Go Daddy is still the top company to buy a domain from. If the domain name you want is taken, they offer you suggestions for other similar domain names as well as options to purchase the domain name you want even if it’s already taken. You can check out this guide on how to pick the right domain name. And if you’re looking to get a Free Domain Name, Blue Host offers one when you sign up.
3) Hosting – So now you have your WordPress account and an awesome domain name. Good. The next step is signing up for a hosting account to get your website live. Since you’re a beginner, I highly recommend Blue Host. Why? They offer one of the easiest installs for WordPress blogs. You simply sign up, click on a button, and within minutes, your WordPress blog is live on your domain name! You can however check out our reviews of the top hosting companies if you wish to pick a different host.
– Name Servers: Once signed up, you will receive your name servers. You will need to log into your GoDaddy (or whichever company your purchased your domain from) account and update the name servers for your domain. And that’s it! Did I also mention that Bluehost offers the cheapest hosting available for WordPress users? The plans start at $3.95 a month.
4) Design – Now that your blog is up and running, you will need a kicking design or as we call it — a WordPress Theme to set it apart from the others! The good news is there are plenty of nice themes available for free. However if you’re looking for a nicer or more unique design, the best option is to get a Premium Theme. These typically cost on average $39 and are just as easy to install as the free ones. If Blogger is your platform choice, feel free to pick out a kicking design from this collection of out top free Blogger templates.
– Theme Installation: To install a theme (free or purchased), you simply need to download the zip file. Then head to your WordPress admin area, click on ‘Appearance’, click on ‘Themes’, click on ‘Add New’, upload the zip file you downloaded and viola, your new design is live!
5) Submit – Your blog or website is now live! Awesome. The next step is getting people to visit your blog. This process is quite simple as all you have to do is submit your website to search engines, mainly Google and Bing. Once submitted, your website or blog will be indexed usually within 24 – 48 hours.
And that’s it. The very basic and simple steps to get your blog up and running right away. Good luck!