Step by Step Guide to Installing a WordPress Plugin
What are WordPress Plugins?
The first step here is defining what exactly is a WordPress Plugin. For starters, WordPress is a publishing platform that makes it easy to create a website or blog online. A WordPress Plugin is an extension of WordPress and a way to add functionality and new features plus options to the current offerings of WordPress. Examples of Plugins include the WooCommerce Plugin which allows you to turn any WordPress website into an eCommerce store.
How to Install a Plugin in WordPress
There are two major ways to install a new WordPress Plugin. The first and easiest way is doing this through your WordPress admin dashboard. Another way is using the FTP method or using your Host’s cPanel feature. For this tutorial, we will be using the WordPress admin method.
Note – Only self hosted WordPress blogs are able to use the plugin option. If you are not self hosting and are using WordPress.com to publish your blog, the plugin option is probably not available for you.
1. To install a plugin on your WordPress site, find the Plugins menu on the left sidebar and expand this menu. Click on Add New.
2. The easiest way to add a new plugin is to simply search for that plugin using the search bar on the top right of this page. Once you see the plugin you want in the search results, the next step is to click on the Install Now button to add this plugin to your site. Once installed, you then click on the Activate button and viola! Your new plugin is activated and ready to use.
3. To upload a new plugin – if you are unable to find your plugin with the search option or if you have it downloaded and prefer to upload it, that is also easy to do. First you want to click on the Add New button from the Plugins menu on the left sidebar. From this Add Plugins page, you will click on the Upload Plugin button on the top. Then click the Choose File button to upload your plugin file (remember it has to be in a .zip format). Additionally, click Install Now after choosing your file.
4. To Activate a New Plugin – After uploading your new plugin in the zip format, you should see a message that tells you “Plugin installed successfully”. If you see this message, you should click on the Activate Plugin button to get your plugin fully working. Typically after activating a new plugin, you will want to go to the plugin settings page to customize the Plugin settings.
How to Delete a WordPress Plugin
Let’s say you need to free up some space on your WordPress site or there is a plugin you simply don’t need anymore, it is a very simple step to completely removing this plugin from your site.
1. First expand the Plugins menu on the left sidebar in your WordPress admin dashboard. Then click on Installed Plugins.
2. Before you can delete a Plugin, it must first be deactivated if it’s not already. You want to find that Plugin (our example here today is the BuddyPress plugin), and click on Deactivate right underneath the plugin name.
3. After deactivating, you should now see a Delete button option. Click on Delete. You should see a pop up message asking you if you are sure you want to delete this plugin, you want to click ‘Ok‘. Once deleted, you will see a message telling you the plugin has been successfully deleted.
In this tutorial, we have shown you how to install and activate a new WordPress plugin, plus also how to delete a WordPress plugin that you no longer need. We do hope you have found this tutorial very helpful as we plan to bring you more beginner tutorials to help maximize the quality of your WordPress website.